Visitor visa conditions


Those who intend to enter the UK under one of the Standard visitor visa categories must ensure they are only undertaking permissible activities under their particular visitor visa route.


In addition they must also demonstrate to a Home Office case worker or border control authority that they:

  • are genuinely seeking entry as a Visitor to undertake the activities stated by them as main purpose of their visit
  • only want to visit the United Kingdom for up to 6 months (or up to 12 months if applying to be an Academic Visitor)
  • intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit
  • can maintain and accommodate themselves (and any dependants) without using public funds
  • can meet the cost of an onward or return journey
  • will not receive pay from a UK source, unless entering as a PPE Visitor where they must be paid (it is also permitted to receive payment from a UK source of reasonable expenses to cover the cost of travel and subsistence)
  • do not intend to make frequent or successive visits, several months (up to six months in some cases) would need to be left between the end of one visit and another new visit
  • do not intend to undertake paid or unpaid employment (other than as permitted if a PPE Visitor) Visitors can undertake some remote work, such as answering emails and calls and attending online meetings, (for their employer outside the UK) during their visit but this cannot be the main purpose of their visit (they cannot come just to work remotely from the UK).
  • do not intend to produce goods or provide services within the UK
  • are not a child under the age of 18, unless they are accompanying an adult Visitor
  • do not intend to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership (an appropriate type of visa category for this purpose is Marriage/ Civil Partnership Visitor)
  • do not intend to receive private medical treatment (for this, a Visitor for Private Medical Treatment visa would be required)
  • are not in transit to a country outside the common travel area (a Transit Visitor visa would be needed in this case)

Permitted Study

Visitor visa holders may undertake a course of study of up to 6 months as long as:

  • it is at an accredited institution, and not at a state-funded school or academy; or
  • they are being taught about research or undertaking research at a UK institution, and are 16 years of age or over and are enrolled on a course of study abroad of at least equivalent level as a UK degree; or
  • the visitor has been accepted to study by a higher education institute may undertake electives relevant to their course of study overseas, provided those electives are unpaid, do not involve treatment of patients, and the visitor is: 16 years of age or over; enrolled on a course of study abroad equivalent to at least degree level study in the UK; and studying medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry as their principle course of study.


Further information including details of required accreditation for institutions to meet these requirements can be found in the Home Office Permitted study guidance.

Contact us

Medical Sciences / Humanities / GLAM / UAS / Continuing Education

Angelina Pelova, Email: 

Paul Deeble, Email:


MPLS / Social Sciences / Colleges

Lyn Davis, Email:

Richard Birt, Email:




Popular links