Dependant of Global Talent visa holder

Expand All

Family members (‘dependants’) can travel with the Global Talent visa holder or join them later in the UK on a dependant visa. Family members must obtain the visa before travelling, unless their personal circumstances mean that have a right to live in the UK without needing a dependant visa.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following

  • husband, wife or partner
  • child under 18, (a child aged 16 or over must not be leading an independent life)
  • child over 18 if they are currently in the UK

Family member coming for a short visit

A family member coming to the UK for a short period of time to visit you, other family member or friends, can apply for a standard visitor visa. This visa is valid up to 6 months. When filling in the visa application, please select the main reason for your visit as being 'Tourism (including visiting family and friends).

More information can be found, and the visa application can be submitted, on the Home Office Standard visitor visa website.

Family member coming to join the main applicant in the UK

Dependants intending to move to the UK and join the main applicant, must apply for a dependant visa. The visa granted will match the end date of the main applicants Global Talent visa.

Global talent visa holders (main applicant) may apply for a dependant visa for their children. The child's visa would match the end date of the main applicant's visa.

For any dependant child applying the following conditions would need to be met:

  • both of the applicant’s parents must either be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK, or being granted permission to enter or permission to stay (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant; or

  • one parent must be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK and the other is being granted permission to enter or permission to stay (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant, unless:
    • the main applicant is the applicant’s sole surviving parent; or
    • the main applicant is the parent that has and has had sole responsibility for the applicant’s upbringing; or
    • there are serious or compelling family or other considerations which would make it desirable not to refuse the application and suitable arrangements have been made in the UK for the applicant’s care.

All arrangements for children’s care and accommodation in the UK must comply with relevant UK legislation and regulations. More information can be found on the website.





Submitting application within the UK 

If a child is currently in the UK as a dependant of a visa holder under Tier 1, 2 or 5 (worker), Tier 4 (student), Start-up, Innovator,Global Talent or Skilled Worker, please click here to
apply for a dependant visa for the child


Submitting application outside the UK 

If a child is currently outside the UK, and the dependant application is being submitted outside the UK, you can submit the application here 



Family members of a Global talent visa holder will need to submit their visa applications online. You can either apply for the dependant visa at the same time as the main applicant, or after the main applicant has obtained their visa.

Once the application has been submitted, the system will generate a checklist of the required supporting documents will need to be provided. An appointment will also need to booked to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa applicant centre.


They will have to collect their biometric residence permit within 30 days of when they said they would arrive in the UK from a designated Post Office.

They may be able to get their visa faster, or may be able to apply for other services depending on what country they are in - check with the visa application centre.


If a dependant child is over 18, they cannot apply for a dependant visa if they are outside the UK and would need to obtain their own immigration status to live in the UK. They can apply from inside the UK if they are already here as dependant.


The full Home Office guidance can be found here:

Dependants can apply to extend or switch their visa to stay with you if they are already in the UK, as long as they do not hold a visitor visa.

It is best for your dependants to apply at the same time as you, but they can apply at a later date. Their details can be included in the main applicant’s online application to form a ‘Family group’ application. The online application will ask whether any dependants are applying and the details are added by specifying whether they are a 'dependant partner or spouse' or a 'dependant child'. When applying as a ‘Family group’ the combined visa fees for all those applying must be paid as one amount, the combined NHS Surcharge must also be paid.

Where dependants are applying from within the UK separately from the main applicant each dependant will need to submit their own separate online application:

Dependant partner -

Dependant child -


Children born while you are in the UK

If you have children while you are in the UK, you can apply for permission for them to stay.

You must do this if you want to travel in and out of the UK with your child.

When you apply you must provide a full UK birth certificate showing the names of both of your child’s parents.

​​​​​The application process is as follows: 

  • fill in the online application form;
  • have your documents ready;
  • pay the healthcare surcharge, if applicable;
  • pay the application fee;
  • provide your biometric information (fingerprints and facial photograph) 


Dependent children over the age of 16 (but under the age of 18) need to provide two of the following documents to evidence they are not living an independent life:

  • Bank statements;
  • Credit card bills;
  • Driving licence;
  • NHS registration document;
  • Letter from the dependant child’s current school, college or university confirming their address. This must be on official headed paper and bearing the official stamp of the institution.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit.


Immigration health surcharge

You must pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘Immigration Health Surcharge’, or IHS) in addition to your application fee, unless you are granted a fee waiver.

The amount you have to pay will depend on the length of visa you are applying for. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.


When the dependant visa application has been submitted, the system will generate a checklist listing the documents the applicants will need to provide to complete the visa application. 


This normally includes

  • A valid passport
  • Medical certificate confirming that they are free from Tuberculosis (TB) (if applicable)
  • Official record of any criminal convictions (if applicable)
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate (for married/civil partners)
  • Evidence of the relationship to the main applicant (for those who are not married or in a civil partnership)
  • Birth Certificate (for children under the age of 18)


Please note that where any documents provided are not in English or Welsh, you must provide the document in the original language and a full translation that can be independently verified. The translation must
• confirm that it is an accurate translation of the original document
• be dated
• include the full name and signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company
• include the translator or translation company's contact details
• if you are applying for permission to stay or indefinite leave to remain, be fully certified and include details of the translator or translation company's credentials

Please see the Global Talent cost page for more information.

The following conditions apply to the Global Talent dependant visa: 

  • no recourse to public funds
  • the visa holder is permitted to study in the UK. Certain courses may require an ATAS certificate before you can commence your studies. Please see Home Office website for more information on the ATAS requirement
  • the visa holder is permitted to take employment in the UK (except as a sportsperson or sports coach)