The ISC is levied on employers who sponsor applicants under Skilled Worker to take up certain roles, but few University roles are affected.
Please note the ISC does not apply to Research and Lecturer roles, and there are a number of other exemptions.
The ISC does NOT apply to:
- Research (SOC code 2119) and Lecturer (SOC code 2311) roles, which fall under the ‘PhD level’ SOC codes;
- Overseas applicants coming for less than 6 months;
- Applicants switching from a student, Tier 4 visa into Skilled Worker from within the UK;
- Existing Tier 2 visa holders, whose Tier 2 CoS were issued before 6 April 2017, who are applying to extend their visa, or for a new Skilled Worker visa with a new employer
The ISC is a cost levied by the Government on Skilled Worker sponsorship for certain roles.
Which types of roles within the collegiate University are affected?
All roles, except those as a reseacher or lecturer, are affected by the ISC. These include various IT positions, Engineers, Research Managers, Statisticians, PR professionals, and other support roles. If you are unsure please contact the Staff Immigration Team.
How much is the ISC?
The ISC is £364 per year based on the length of the CoS and is paid upfront, along with the CoS fee, when the Staff Immigration Team is issuing the CoS.
The Skilled Worker CoS Application Form highlights roles where the ISC applies and calculates the amount which will be charged.
This charge is an employer cost and must not be passed on to the individual.
Will the ISC be refunded in any circumstances?
The ISC will be refunded in full where:
- the Skilled Worker visa application is refused or withdrawn;
- a visa is granted but the visa holder does not take up the role;
- no visa application is made.
A partial refund in respect of all whole unused 6 month periods will be paid where:
- the Skilled Worker visa is granted for less than the period requested on the CoS;
- the visa holder after their first year, voluntarily changes to another sponsor;
- the visa holder, after their first year, leaves their post early, due to ill health, redundancy, or being dismissed, for example.
Home Office decisions on refunds are made within 90 days after the above events are reported. Refunded ISC fees will then be credited back to the sponsoring department from SIT by Finance in the following monthly credit card reconciliation. Colleges will be refunded by BACS.