Other Tier 5 visa routes

The University of Oxford does not currently sponsor this visa type.

For more information, please visit the Home Office website on Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting) visa.


The University of Oxford does not currently sponsor this visa type. 

For more information, please visit the Tier 5 International Agreement visa webpages 




The University of Oxford sponsor interns specifically coming to the University to undertake research, and who meet the other normal requirements of the Tier 5 Temporary Worker route (and the University's requirements as described in the internship guidance) can be sponsored by the University. 

All other types of internship require a sponsorship from an external commercial organisation, GTI Recruitment Solutions. Find more information on their website Tier5intern.com. The scheme is designed to allow graduates and undergraduates from countries outside the UK to gain experience working here.

Eligible interns will require a Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) Certificate of Sponsorship issued by GTI Recruitment Solutions before applying for a work visa. Significant costs are involved, payable by the department/college, and a number of conditions are attached, but departments and colleges might find this option useful in some circumstances.


Further information on this route, and other schemes run by external organisations under the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) route on the Home Office website.

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) is for young people from participating countries who would like to experience life in the UK.

The countries currently participating in the scheme are:

AustraliaCanadaHong Kong, Iceland, India, JapanMonacoNew ZealandRepublic of (South) Korea, San Marino and Taiwan.

Under the Youth Mobility Scheme, the visa holder's national government is the sponsor. Therefore the University does not need to issue Tier 5 (YMS) applicants with a CoS.

Applicants are eligible if they:

  • are a citizen of a country taking part in the scheme or a British overseas citizen, British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas);
  • are between 18 and 30 (35 for New Zealand nationals) years old when they apply;
  • have £2,530 in available maintenance (funds) when they apply.

Applicants must complete the Tier 5 visa application form on the Home Office website. A successful applicant will be free to do whatever work they like during their stay in the UK except for working as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or working as a doctor in training. 

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa holders can be self-employed and set up companies, subject to certain restrictions as detailed in the Home Office's Tier 5 Youth Mobility website.

Applications for the Youth Mobility Scheme are ineligible if the applicant is already in the UK or if they have already spent time in the UK as a Working Holiday Maker or under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme. Visa holders coming to the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme may stay and work for a maximum of 2 years (3 years for New Zealand nationals). Visa holders will not be permitted to extend their stay in the UK beyond 2 (or 3) years, but they may be able to apply to switch to another visa route from within the UK if they meet the relevant requirements for that route.


Contact us

Medical Sciences / Humanities / GLAM / UAS / Continuing Education

Angelina Pelova, Email: angelina.pelova@admin.ox.ac.uk 

Paul Deeble, Email: paul.deeble@tss.ox.ac.uk


MPLS / Social Sciences / Colleges

Lyn Davis, Email: lyn.davis@admin.ox.ac.uk

Richard Birt, Email: richard.birt@admin.ox.ac.uk




Popular links